Friday, October 15, 2010

Early Century Korean Ceramics

This is a picture of the face of a vase from one of the earlier centuries in Korea. I was greatly impressed with the brushwork for the bamboo trees and leaves. Also the cranes are pretty amazing. I would love to do a piece like this, this basic vase shape is already a form I'm quite comfortable with, but the challenge for me would be the 2D artwork imposed on the vessel. I think it could work if I painted the trees with black slip, but then I'm not sure what color I would be able to do the cranes. The Celadon glaze is also not very vibrant, but at the same time it suits the piece quite well. I'd like to experiment with some celadons more as I did not have to much success with them during salt firings in the summer.

2 comments:

  1. I think this would be an awesome idea! Maybe you could use a steencil for the birds? not sure if that would work, but it's just an idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks! lol you should help me find a crane stencil if they even exist.

    ReplyDelete